Thursday 16 December 2010

Project Idea.

The idea for my projects has been going for a while. I wanted to first make a porcelain doll at college 3 years ago and just never had the time. I was goint to make a very gothic doll to go against the idea of beauty but looking back lots have people have already done that and now it a very common thing to see. I have decided that normal porcelain dolls were pretty, but didn't move and to me this was a downside.  I want to be able to move, bend, pose and play with my doll- generally procelain dolls just don't seem to do this. Its not what they were designed for and for me, this is a let down. So I've set out to make a movable porcelain doll and I have no idea how to do it, just a typical average project for me then. I started by jumping straight into designing and making some quick ideas. I call these my initial idea's, they usually don't work but they give me more of an idea of what I want to do and how it would work. During this process I make a few small maquet, paper mached' a barbie, took apart a wooden doll to see how they go together and did some initial research into porcelain dolls; how they are made, by whom and when. Its good to get to know the background of what you are doing...... or at least I think so.

This is a picture of my initial idea, with a few ruff workings out. It didn't take me very long to do, and it doesn't quite have all the movement I want but I can work on that.

The next step is to reflect on what I have already learnt. This is a very important step if not the most important thing to do - reflect, and strangly something I always forget to write about in my college work. So I look at everything I've done, what I have learnt like: that the wooden dolls are held together with springsusefull for putting my doll together and more research will be neaded here. They have something called a ball joint, which is how the doll moves usefull again. That trying to paper mashe a barbie is really difficult and gets you covered in glue... I look back at my idea and see how I can push it forward, like by making it move like a human, the joints will require me to do some more research into human anatomy. So the next step from here I usually find is research, I have some clear things to research right now that will take my work further and improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment