Wednesday 29 December 2010

Master Mold Making - Torso

Well for the last couple of days I have been hard at work, working on my master molds. The torso which was giving me so many problems is almost finished, the hands and feet are done and so are the legs and arms, plus their joints. All I have left is to fix a broken leg mold and make a head. Almost finished!!! Well sort-of. This process has taken me the best part of 6 months, several molds, for example I made the torso 3 times before I was happy with it. But I know I am a perfectionist and am happy with nothing less....

So here is the torso
The rest are on my flickr account - lexy99071


I have done a lot of research on human anatomy and online tutorials, they really help :D
I started with the torso, it's easier to size everything against that, alternatively, draw to scale the size doll you want, remembering to accommodate for the shrinking of the clay, (I'm not aware if resin shrinks.) Porcelain shrinks by about 10 - 15 percent, I didn't do this for my first set of molds and had to re-make them. I've cut my torso in half-ish to allow for the movement I want in my doll, and it might make for easier stringing... but then again it might not.

No comments:

Post a Comment